Summer’s here and it’s getting hotter by the day! If you live here in the Middle East, this is no breaking news for you. The rising temperatures are already a burning topic (pun intended 😉 ) of discussion in the media, in your community, as well as your home.
Whether you’re living in central Qatar or on a beachfront location in Dubai, the ongoing heat wave and the rising temperatures have probably gotten you thinking about your rising electricity bills. To help you out, we have some easy tips you can follow to ensure your house remains cool in this sweltering weather:
- Set the right temperature on the Air Conditioner. Yes, it’s true, we can’t do without it. We’re all guilty of majorly relying on the AC to help us pass the summer. Interestingly, new research suggests keeping your thermostat between 24-26 degrees Celsius for energy saving. You could also invest in a low-cost energy efficient Air Conditioner which will help in keeping humidity at bay.
- Get the right curtains. You need to block out the sunlight in the mornings and afternoons in order to avoid overheating of your house. Remember, sometimes a little investment goes a long way! Buy reflective curtains or blackout curtains that will help in keeping sunlight away from your home.
- Throw open windows at nights. Bad Idea: Opening the windows in the mornings or afternoons. Good idea: Opening windows at night. Temperatures usually drop towards evenings and nights, and you should open your windows then to allow the breeze to come in.
- Install fans. You might want to buy and install ceiling fans or portable fans across the rooms in your house to help with cross ventilation. Using fans along with the Air Conditioner will help tremendously in the overall cooling of the house.
- Plant trees in your garden. If you have a garden, you should try to plant various trees and shrubs to block sunlight from your home and to keep the exterior cool. You can also set up a balcony garden if you live in a building!
We hope this helps you keep your house cool this summer. We know we’re going to be using some of these tips to cool the listaproperty.com office 🙂
Do leave your comments below, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We love to hear from you!